Over at Tales of the Wizard Nebula, John Miskimen is putting together an original setting using Starter Traveller, along with Mayday, Snapshot, and Supplement 4: Citizens of the Imperium.
He’s well on his way to nailing down most of the conceits. You can go check out what he’s already done. He’s a portion of what you’ll find on the page, as he lists his agenda for the setting:
Things I want out of this game setting:
- Slower FTL Travel.
- AI created Jump Gates that even out to six months per parsec Jump.
- Cold Sleep pods replace Staterooms on intersteller vessels
- AI is very much a part of the setting. The very first AIs developed in The Deep Web almost a century ago, where they could develop and grow with controlled (by the AI) human interaction. When they emerged, they were more advanced than their designers and have lent limited aid to their creators, that which aids the AIs themselves as some would contend.
- The AI developed robotic servants to maintain their digital existences in the so called ‘real world.’ There is very little direct interactions with humans
- Mankind has developed various technological breakthroughs with AI assistance, such as cloning, android creation, and improved robotics. Some speculate that this has only happened to better affect the merging of AI and biological life.
- Meanwhile, with the development of Jump Gates, various Mega-corporations have sponsored travel to the stars and created several colonies. Naturally, the Military has mirrored this endeavor, but in reality, it was the corporate world that conquered space travel.
- Private space travel is a luxury and not particularly commonplace. Star travel is dominated by majority trade operations and military applications.